Sunday, March 24, 2013

Mary Kay Calling - Week 12

Often people attempt to live their lives backwards: they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want so that they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you really need to do, in order to have what you want.                                                                                            
                                                                                                               ~Margaret Young


It might surprise some of you to know that in my early days of motherhood I was a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant.

The thought of getting out once in a while to meet other women and play with makeup sounded like fun to a housebound young mom.


I should have known that when the colors of the lipsticks and eyeshadows were more enthralling than the money making part of the business, that I was destined to be an artist and not a salesperson. Although, the Mary Kay training did come in handy when I worked in retail, selling Pandora jewelry and Vera Bradley bags. And if it wasn't for Mary Kay foundation being so light and covering so well I still probably wouldn't be wearing it.

What made me think of my past life in Mary Kay is a book I just finished by Brene' Brown called The Gifts of Imperfection. In the book Brene' talks about authenticity. "Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make every day. It's about the choice to show up and be REAL."

I know when I was a beauty consultant I didn't feel very REAL.  I also didn't see a lot that realness in the pep rally meetings, but I did see a lot of fakeness. I remember one of our local directors, who always had a happy smile plastered on her face and had that sappy sweet tone to her voice. I would always think - is she really like this all the time? Does she ever get mad? Or get sad?


One thing I always strive for in my writing and in my life is authenticity. I want to be REAL. I know that I put myself out there sometimes but that is me, that is me being honest. I am happy, but I also get angry, sad, and discouraged. 

I close with this passage from Brene's book, "If you're like me, practicing authenticity can feel like a daunting choice - there's risk involved in putting your true self out in the world. But I believe there's even more risk in hiding yourself and your gifts from the world."

SELF-PORTRAITS
This week's 52 of You theme was work. Since I don't have a 9 to 5 away from the house, I captured some of the stuff I do in my 9 to 5 at home.


With two golden retrievers, vacuuming is a never ending job.


Along with dog hair and the tiny bits of gravel that seems to be on everyone's feet when they come in the house, this is another endless task in the winter and spring.


A weekly weekend activity, once the work clothes have been worn for the week, and then washed.

WEIGHT
This week I lost: 1 lb.
Total weight loss: 7 lbs.

Feeling a little more on track this week.

EXERCISE
This week I started some interval training on the treadmill. I have to walk at a very slow pace (2.5) for 90 seconds and then at an incline of 5.0 and speed of 4.4 for 30 seconds. Heart rate up and heart rate down. I can do up to six sets of this for a total of 20 minutes on the treadmill. This is the first major cardio thing we have added in at training. I love it that I can do it at home as well as at the gym. 

FOOD
I made a salad this week that Glen called an October salad, and it is true with the sweet potatoes and cinnamon it tastes very much like fall. This is the first time I have used Wheat Berries, I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked them.

Roasted Sweet Potato & Wheat Berry Salad


1.5 cups cooked wheat berries (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
2 cups of mixed greens (baby kale, spinach, arugula, etc.)
1 large sweet potato, chopped into cubes
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (toast on a small skillet for 30 seconds)
pinch of red pepper flakes

Dressing:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 clove minced garlic
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
4 sage leaves, finely chopped
salt & pepper

METHOD:
cook the wheat berries: (you can do this ahead of time) Cook these like pasta, not like rice, so the ratio of water doesn't matter, you just need to make sure the water covers them. Fill a pot with water, salt the water, add the wheat berries. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour (sometimes longer). About halfway through check to make sure there is still water covering the wheat berries. If most of your water has been absorbed but your wheat berries are still crunchy, add more water and continue simmering. They are done when they have a soft but still firm, not mushy, bite.

ROAST THE SWEET POTATOES:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Chop the sweet potato into bite sized cubes. Drizzle with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the edges start to turn darker and roast. 

ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
Stir the dressing ingredients together, set aside.

Place greens in a large bowl. Place the warm wheat berries and hot sweet potatoes over them so they wilt slightly from the heat. Add the dressing, as much or little as you like. Toss. Add in the rest of the ingredients, gently toss again. Taste and adjust seasonings.

*recipe source www.loveandlemons.com







12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I just heard Oprah interview Brene' Brown on her radio program. I really want to get into that book. Great post. I enjoyed reading about your Mary Kay experience. Being authentic shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire how together you always seem to be! I'm off to check out that book and see if I can get inspired! Wow, does that salad look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your make-up experiences made me smile. I remember years aog when I was a student we had "Miss Mary of Sweden" make-up parties and we always ended up an odd shade of orange!I hate all the fakery too.Well done on the weight loss - you're doing fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post took me back about 35 years to my Tupperware days, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Brene Brown on TED and plan to purchase a couple of her books. Your post was great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Sarah I think Brene Brown is wonderful so inspiring... We used to have AVON parties and I believe Body Shop do as well it is so difficult putting on your special face isn't it I had to do it when I worked in retail... You sold Vera Bradley ? one thing that is hard to get in UK other than ebay.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sell Silpada jewelry, but only because it's pretty. I just can't get into the hype of the rest of it enough to be truly successful. Sigh. Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the closing quote from the book you listed above...it took me a long time to put myself out there via blogland...I am learning. And it feels great meeting new people from all over the world who have similar interests. And, I'm so happy, I just happen to have all of those ingredients for the yummy looking salad above. Thanks for sharing. I am now a follower. THINKING SPRING, STILL...OH ENOUGH WITH THE SNOW ALREADY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great post...authenticity is a major attribute I look for, in my book. Speaking of books...I ordered my imperfection book...just waiting on Amazon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post...I just read that book a couple of months ago, and it's sitting on my night stand. It was a fantastic book! The older I get, the less tolerant I am of inauthentic people. I simply don't want to be around them. Thanks for sharing your lovely thoughts...that salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post Sarah! Your authenticity comes through wonderfully in your writing. That's one of the things I love about reading your blog. Congrats on continuing on with your healthy fitness goals & losing another pound :) I have to start on that track again, but I figured I better wait until after the kid's spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so enjoying catching up on your posts! Love this idea of being real, and that is totally captured in your photos! It doesn't get much realer than photos of our exciting chores!

    ReplyDelete