Sunday, March 31, 2013

I Am Not Alone - Week 13

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"
                                                                                                                          Matthew 6:26


Friday morning I vowed to get up early so that I could be at the historic farm I wanted to visit by the time the sun was coming up.

I did get there shortly after it first peeked over the horizon. I was thrilled to have the place to myself, alone in nature, and able to wander at will.

After I finished getting the shots I wanted, I decided to drive to and explore the other two park entrances, planning for future photo walks.

The last entrance that I stopped at is also where the sledding hill is located. After I got out of the car I was delighted to again be the only person there. I headed towards the top of the sledding hill. As I neared the base of the hill this is what I saw.


I approached slowly and quietly, hoping that this majestic hawk would stay for just a bit so I could get a few pictures of him. I was bummed at first that I didn't have a zoom lens on, but then I thought - no God has given me this gift, just do the best I can with what I have and enjoy it.


I was able to get fairly close and he just sat there watching me. After I had snapped a few shots of him I climbed to the top of the sledding hill, I sat on one of the benches and just watched him, eventually he flew away. Probably bored with watching me. As I sat there I was reminded of the fact that even when I think I am alone, I am never really alone, God is always watching me. A good reminder on Good Friday.

SELF-PORTRAITS
The theme this week at 52 of You was Black and White. 




WEIGHT
This week I lost: 0 lbs
Total weight loss: 7 lbs.

I am okay with where I am at, at this point if I lose more I will have to buy new jeans, and I would rather wait until Fall to do that. I am hoping shorts season comes soon.

EXERCISE
The weather was very cooperative yesterday, so we took advantage of it and went out hiking. Working on building strength and endurance for hiking in Glacier National Park this summer. Sand dunes are good practice.


FOOD
I made my favorite chili recipe this week. Not so sure about the healthy aspect of it, but it is packed with protein.

AWARD WINNING CHILI


1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 carrot, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup bottled steak sauce
5 slices bacon
1-1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 package chili seasoning mix
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a large pot over medium-low heat, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, carrot, onion, celery, wine, pepper flakes, bell peppers and steak sauce.
  2. While tomato mixture is simmering, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Cook beef in bacon drippings until brown; drain. Stir chili seasoning into ground beef.
  3. Stir seasoned beef, cumin and bacon into tomato mixture. Continue to simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors are well blended.
  4. Stir in beans, cilantro and parsley. Heat through and serve.










8 comments:

  1. So glad your feathery friend let you in for his close-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos of the hawk, especially for not having a zoom lens. And your chili sounds healthy to me, and pretty darned delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just feel blessed when one of God's beautiful creatures sits quietly and lets you share a few minutes with them? Your chili looks delicious! Hope your Easter was a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that feeling of being alone with nature and able to explore and take photos. Your chilli sounds delicious - one of my favourite dishes - but I add red wine ... a good excuse to open a bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great black and white Sarah and I love your shoes they are fab.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful verse to go with your wonderful bird shots and I love your B&W selfies!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these black and whites - especially the one of your bike glove!

    ReplyDelete