Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pin Drop - Week 14

“We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.” 
   
                                                                                                                                      ― Nicholas SparksThe Notebook


Last night Glen and I along with some friends of ours attended a unique music experience. We attended a Pin Drop Concert. The premise is that the patrons are asked to refrain from talking while the artist is performing. You can still applaud at the end of each song just like a regular concert.

We have all been to an event where the people around you are so noisy that you can't hear the speaker or the performers. 

Ever the skeptic, I wondered if people would actually sit quietly and listen. So I was on the lookout for offenders. I am happy to report that there was great adherence to the no talking rule. The only offenders I saw was the couple in front of us. She would occasionally look at her phone and then he would lean over and look at it too. Maybe they should have us check our mobile devices at the door :)

Maybe this Pin Drop mentality should be applied to all events and performances, that way the speaker or artist would always get the respect they deserve for sharing from their heart.

SELF-PORTRAITS
The theme this week at 52 of You was "Morning". I took these selfies while I was out early Friday morning shooting my Walk and Click adventure for my other blog.



I am sure that if anybody actually watches the surveillance tapes from the estate, they were probably wondering what this lady was doing in the middle of the waterless, water garden. Running back and forth from her camera and tripod to the low wall and iron gate. I am always so grateful that there aren't other people around when I do these self-portraits.

WEIGHT
This week I lost: .5 lbs.
Total weight loss: 7.5 lbs.

EXERCISE
Maribeth, my trainer must have finally decided I am serious enough about this training stuff. I had to get  weight lifter gloves, since my weights keep getting increased each week and it is starting to take a toll on my hands.


FOOD
I like to make these sweet potatoes ahead of time and then just reheat when I want them for lunch to go with my turkey wrap.

Roasted Balsamic Sweet Potatoes


1/4 cup decent balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp. salt
3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In large skillet bring vinegar and sugar to a boil.
3. Reduce until it starts to thicken. Add butter and salt. 
4. Over medium heat mix till smooth.
5. Place potatoes in pan and toss with sauce.
6. Spread mixture into a baking pan and roast stirring occasionally till potatoes are slightly browned on edges, about 40 minutes.
7. Serve immediately.





6 comments:

  1. Great post. I got a chuckle as I visualized you running back and forth to you camera as you took your selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too can visualize the taking of the selfies. They are wonderful and I do admire you for doing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! Thanks for the sweet potato recipe - these look much healthier than the Sonic sweet potato tots that I love! Haha! on the selfie story - cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a concert! Should be the same idea at movies! I also had to laugh at the image of you running back and forth trying to get the self portraits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your selfies it looked v cold brave you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the line about silence being pure. I wish more people could appreciate the value of being quiet and just being present in the moment, but I guess it is an appreciation that does come with age.

    ReplyDelete