Sunday, April 21, 2013

Music for the Journey - Week 16

Music is a total constant. That's why we have such a strong visceral connection to it, you know? Because a song can take you back instantly to a moment, or a place, or even a person. No matter what else has changed in you or the world, that one song stays the same, just like that moment.”                                                                                                                                                   ― Sarah DessenJust Listen

My earliest memories of music were 78 rpm vinyl records spinning on the turnable, and Big Band tunes playing on my Grandpa's console radio that he kept in this beautiful mahogany cabinet with decorative gold leaf trim.

My mom was a big fan of Country Western; Gene Autry, Glen Campbell and Johnny Cash are the ones that I remember. My dad was never one much for music. I have no memories connecting him with music.

I remember sleeping over at my Grandma's house and she would play jazz or blues softly on the radio in the bedroom. I always thought that was such a pleasant way to drift off to sleep.

Then came the late elementary years and the discovery of rock and roll, no disco for me thank you very much. I remember drifting on a raft in the pool, watching the white fluffy clouds in the big blue sky floating along, and WLS out of Chicago cranked up on the radio (when my parents weren't home of course). I thought I was so cool.

The middle school and high school years were in the 1980's; Big Hair Bands, Heavy Metal and Punk. I liked them all. I have to say that Billy Idol was one of my favorites. Those were the years that music went from 78 rpm records to cassettes, and the best thing was to have a cassette player in your car. Cruising the beach in your 4-door cream colored Chevy Chevette with the music cranked up, those were the days.

Honestly I don't remember much about 1990's music, except maybe Madonna, and that was usually because she was doing something scandalous.

The early 2000's and we were very much into Contemporary Christian music. There are lots and lots of CD's and CD cases in our house from that era. Thank goodness for the dawning of the digital music age and the invention of the iPod.

Today I am kind of all over the place with my musically tastes. On my iPod right now you will find; Adele, The Decemberists, The Goo Goo Dolls and Hootie and the Blowfish. Recent favorite discoveries are Josh Garrels, Of Monsters and Men (thanks to The Voice, I love that show). I am also rediscovering a love of The Big Band era thanks to Grandpa and Pandora radio.

What's get the most play on your iPod right now?

SELF-PORTRAITS
The theme this week at 52 of You was Music - that worked out well didn't it?

My iPod


I am not musical instrument inclined, but this is my husband's 12 string guitar and my favorite of his five. I thought it would make for a fun self-portrait.

WEIGHT
This week I lost: 0 lbs
Total weight loss: 7.5 lbs.

Holding steady :)

EXERCISE


Glen and I competed in our first 5K. He ran, I walked fast. I think he finished in 23 minutes, I did it in 44:51 minutes. I kept a fairly fast steady pace the whole time, and was very pleased with my finish. I was happy there were quite a few walkers, and I was definitely not the last one across the finish line.

FOOD
This is my favorite way to have asparagus:

OVEN-ROASTED ASPARAGUS


1 bunch thin asparagus spears, trimmed
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1-1/2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. lemon juice (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C)
  2. Place the asparagus into a mixing bowl, and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat the spears, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange the asparagus onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness. Sprinkle with lemon juice just before serving.
**Note: I use shredded Parmesan instead of grated, I like the taste of that better. I mix a little parmesan in the bowl, but sprinkle more on top once it is on the baking sheet.  The lemon juice adds nice flavor.










4 comments:

  1. My iPod playlist that gets used the most is one I call 'Make Ya Move" - it's a mix of all up beat songs. The kind you just can't sit still with. Love it especially when I'm cleaning the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post took me back through time...music has always been there, seemingly in the background but amazingly able to reconnect me at anytime to a place, a moment, a person, or an emotion. Whenever I hear the Jackson 5, I remember being a wallflower at the junior high school dances and it still makes me uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all over the place , I love Alison Krauss, Show of Hands, and at the moment I'm listening to The Lumineers.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holding steady is good. Don't flinch. I believe you said your goal was 10, and your 3/4 there.
    Music-amazing ability to transport-I think much like a glimpse of a photograph. My taste and yours run a bit different, but that's entirely OK. When I was a music teacher I used to tell my students "that's why they put buttons on radios". One of the saddest things for me was to be hit with a sudden hearing loss and have to give up my teaching career. I miss music and although I can listen to it, with my hearing limited, it just doesn't strike the same emotional response.
    That radio image is great-the old time really comes out. When I hear old big band it reminds me of an uncle who used to listen before bed.
    Have a great day Sarah....you'll find new avenues or do some Wednesday walking of your own

    ReplyDelete