Sunday, May 5, 2013

Letting Go - Week 18

“Sometimes love means letting go when you want to hold on tighter.” 
                                                                         ― Melissa MarrInk Exchange


We spent part of this last week driving the 8 hours to where our daughter goes to school, packing up her dorm room possessions and driving the 8 hours back home again. Thankfully this was spread out over the course of three days.

It was bittersweet saying goodbye to a couple of Mallory's friends that are Seniors this year and are graduating. We are the parents that like to hang out with our daughter's friends, so we have gotten to know these girls over the last two years. We are so happy for them to be entering the real world and pursuing their dreams, but yet we will miss them next year.

Saying goodbye made me think of something I read in our church newsletter a couple of weeks ago. Our Senior Pastor was writing about the graduating high school seniors, and about letting them go out into the world beyond our little community. He wrote "The Lord calls us to hold loosely people we treasure so that He can take these treasures and invest them where they are most needed".

Thankfully I have a couple of years yet before I have to completely let Mallory go. The tears will flow, but I know that we have raised her to let her go. 

SELF-PORTRAITS
A lovely day out at the golf course yesterday. So I took some "selfies" while driving the cart.



WEIGHT
This week I lost: 0 lbs.
Total weight loss: 7 lbs.

EXERCISE
I started a new exercise class last week - High Intensity Interval Training - here is the description from the class:
 Raise your heart rate, fitness level, and calorie expenditure with short bursts of high intensity cardio, calisthenics, and power moves. Positive team energy fuels this workout you wouldn't do on your own! Elevates mood and metabolism.

What they leave out the description is that fact that you do a lot of coordinated moves on the stepping bench. I apologized to the class saying "I'm sorry but God did not bless me with a lot of coordination". I felt bad for the lady behind me, but I did make it through the class and exactly didn't hurt too bad the next day. So I guess I will be going back.

FOOD


I have been instructed by my personal trainer to eat more protein and less carbs, especially for breakfast.
So I made these egg and broccoli muffins ahead of time and stored the extra in the refrigerator, then just heat in the microwave for a minute of so in the morning, along with a couple of slices of bacon, perfect protein.



5 comments:

  1. Parting with such sweet sorrow ... Yes, we raise them to be independent, to go out into the world and make something of themselves ... but, ... we want to hold them close, keep them safe. You will find the blessings in this stage as you have all the other stages of her growth.

    I love your little egg muffins. I must try them. Somehow I must get back on track. I've fallen back into all my old habits.

    Thanks for your continuing inspiration, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe - I'm always looking for ways to add more protein to my breakfast! WIll give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another chapter opens, new beginnings can be scary, glad you have her home for the Summer.. lovely selfles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang girl! Bacon? I think that's cheating. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes....I relate so much to your words about your daughter. Ours will be home for the summer next week and it'll be great to have her company again for a few months. But in the fall, she may rent an apartment off campus with friends for the upcoming school year - a new path on her journey that will require us to "let go" just a little bit more!

    Those egg and broccoli muffins look delicious! And good on you for taking the intense exercise class! :)

    ReplyDelete