Sunday, May 19, 2013

Standing on the Edge

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try  ~ Seth Godin


I have been standing on the Edge for a while now. On the Edge of something big, on the Edge of adventure, and on the Edge of Fear.


Last Sunday, I heard the message I have needed to hear for months now about facing the Edge. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and I automatically sat up straighter in my chair. Then I started frantically searching for a piece of paper and a pen to take notes. Hoping I hadn't missed anything important while this searching was going on.

I was obviously suppose to be sitting in the congregation that day and not upstairs doing the power point slides, which I do a couple times a month. I will admit when I am upstairs the sermon may not always have my full attention, but a good book might :)

Here are some key points from that message that caught my attention:

  • I have been given certain life experiences, certain life passions, certain gifts, and certain people in my path (especially in the last year) as He has prepared me for this Edge.
  • The Edge comes when He connects with us through ordinary events, and through ordinary people as He begins to take us on an Extraordinary Journey.
  • Standing on the Edge almost always creates a dance between belief and doubt.

Haven't you had those arguments with yourself in which you say you can't and that Voice inside of you says "Yes, you can"? You say your afraid and the Voice says "It doesn't matter, you have to do it".

What it comes down to is Belief and Trust. Belief in yourself and Trust in God, or whomever your inner voice is.

Here are some things that have me standing on the Edge:

  • Hanging around with my friend Jane has brought about some opportunities that I would never have tried by myself.
  • Connecting with new people. As an introvert this has always been a challenge for me. Creating new friends via a Facebook Group last year really opened the door for me on this one. I consider some of these women that I have never met, very dear friends.  Now random new people seem to be popping into my life all the time, and I am loving it.
  • Starting a new series on my other blog, PaisleyRainBoots, called Passionate People. This series will be about interviewing and photographing people and the things that they are passionate about. A big step out of my comfort zone, but something I am feeling very passionate about doing. The first one in the series will be posted sometime this week.
  • Contemplating going to this photography workshop in Houston in November. BIG STEP! But if I don't continue to push myself I will never grow into who I am suppose to be.
I have been standing on the Edge for a while now, afraid to take that next step wherever it might lead. The time is now to Believe and Trust and step off the Edge.

How about you? Are you standing on the Edge?

14 comments:

  1. Sarah, this is the first time I've visited your blog, and already I feel as if we are kindered spirits. I, too, am on the edge. Shall we take the leap together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand, standing on the edge. I feel that's where I've been living the past few months. It might be a stressful place, but we do have to believe that in the end, taking that step will be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary but so exciting I'm sort of feeling the same way ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. Because of health circumstances, I have been standing on the edge for ages. I have always believed that everything happens for a reason and everyone in your path is important to your journey, especially those that you least expect. I aam not surprised that your "aha" moment arrived in church. Although I don't attend as regularly as I should, actually make that "want to," each time that I do, the sermon is always directly related to some unsettled issue in my life.

    Nevertheless, fear has trumped stepping over that edge that you speak of. Until Susannah's interview with Christina Rosalie, I didn't even realize, or I discounted it, that my passion was writing. With this post, I hope that I've have gained another friend because I can't wait to see what's next--for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting times ahead. I was seriously thinking I would go and meet you at the class until I saw his prices. Probably not this year. but oh my heart was doing double time there for a moment. Have you taken from him before?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will keep you in my prayers!!! I am on the Edge as well...but in a much different way. I look forward to hearing your progress! I love you, my kindred friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting to see what lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too feel I am on the edge... beautiful post, love your photo

    ReplyDelete
  9. God always knows what we need when we need it, doesn't he? You're one of the special friends that God has put in my life. I'm always blessed and inspired when I visit your blogs. Being on the edge is scary, but it seems stepping out into you next adventures will be wonderful. I'm looking forward to your new series of interviews and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so pleased to see you moving forward. I seem to have taken a couple of steps back lately... but you are inspiring Sarah...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah, it most definitely sounds like you're standing on the edge and ready to take a beautiful leap. I wish I was in that place, but I'm simply not right now...I have faith, though, that my edge will come before too long. I'm wishing you good thoughts as you start your new endeavors! They all sound wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so know exactly what you mean as I have been living outside my comfort zone lately. and it can be so scary. but in my own personal experience, I have found that its only after you leap that you get your wings. and oh it is so fun to fly.

    thank you so much for the lovely comment you shared on my post at FOL. looking forward to getting to know you better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Sarah! It's difficult to realize that change is needed, but it takes courage to admit it to oneself, to decide to take action, and to follow through. I've my own fears (just like everyone else)and you are inspiring me to look at them and then take steps to conquer them. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GO FOR IT!!! I LOVE YOUR STORIES...I LOVE YOUR PHOTOS...JUST GO FOR IT!!! And then come back and tell us all about it!!! Aloha...

    ReplyDelete