Sunday, May 12, 2013

Being a Mom

Happy Mother's Day!



My husband would quite often ask me as our daughter got into the middle school and high school years, why did I continue to wake her up each morning, make her breakfast, and then clean up her breakfast dishes. My reply was always "I don't mind, it's not a big deal".

Well this week she is back home from college for the summer, and once again I am waking her up, making her breakfast, and packing her lunch. She does take care of her breakfast dishes now. As I was doing these things this week I got to thinking about my husband's question again.

Then it dawned on me, the reason that I do these things is because I wish my mom had done these things for me when I was growing up. My mom worked 2nd shift through much of my elementary school years. She would still be in bed in the morning when I had to get up. So I was on my own to get dressed, make my own breakfast, and pack my own lunch. I walked to the bus stop with a neighbor girl and if it was raining or snowing, her mom would drive us to the bus stop.

I have always strived to be different than my mom, maybe a bit to the excess, but I am one who always errs on the side of too much instead of not enough.

I have made a very conscience effort to have the relationship with Mallory that I don't have with my own mother. To be fair to my mom, a lot of it isn't her fault. The only child of a loveless marriage, and the daughter of a hot headed, first generation Italian farmer. My grandpa's motto was work, work and work harder. Leisure activities were unheard of in their family. These factors had a huge effect on her.

I know that my mom loves me and my brother, she just didn't have the best parenting role models to learn how to express that love.

I was fortunate to have some close friends growing up that had wonderful relationships with their moms. So I watched and learned, and tucked all the information away for the day when I was a mom. I knew that I wanted that wonderful kind of relationship with my own daughter.

Today, my daughter is 19 and just finished her sophomore year of college. Even though most of the year she lives 8 hours away, we are still very close. We talk on the phone everyday, and I am almost always the first person she wants to talk to when something exciting or interesting has happened.

I treasure the time we get to spend together when she is home. I know that someday soon I will have to share her with someone else, and I may not be the first person she calls when something exciting happens, but I will probably be the second. I know that we will always be close and that we will still talk almost everyday.

FAVORITE MOTHER/DAUGHTER PHOTOS






FORMAT CHANGE
This week marks a format change for Becoming a Finisher...

I will only be posting weight once a month from now on, since Maribeth informed me this week, that at this point I am only going to gain muscle, not lose much more fat. So the 1/2 lb gain/loss is getting too depressing to post every week.

I am in a nice routine with my exercise, so nothing too new and exciting. If I come across something, I will share it with you all.

Recipes will be hit and miss as we move into the summer season. Everybody seems to be coming and going at different times. The turkey bacon wraps I eat when I am by myself are only exciting once.

I will be focusing more on a story every week (hopefully) since the stories to me are the most important at this point. I plan to continue posting self-portraits as well. Since the weather is finally getting nicer, I hope to have more opportunities to get out and take some.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, what a touching post...your daughter is a very lucky person to have such a loving Mom. And she is obviously a wonderful person, too - and that is because of the love and care she has gotten from her parents. I also still fix breakfast for my daughter when she's home...it's a ritual I enjoy. She does her own laundry now, though, and I enjoy that, too! lol :)

    Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah your honesty is so up lifting.. It's not Mother's Day in the UK ours was back in March. You have a wonderful relationship with your daughter (is it ok if I call her Mallory ?) . I really didn't have a relationship with my Mother she died when I was 12 and I was away at boarding school. My Mother really was Mark's mother who I had the honour of knowing for nearly 30 years she accepted me into her home and there I was encouraged and nourished. It's true what they say that you can't choose your relatives but you can choose your friends and that what she was...Sorry hijacked your post there...Whenever my daughter comes for a meal I still wait on her not that I have too I want too....You will never lose that closeness a mother is always important to a daughter.... enjoy your day together....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky, lucky lady you are, Sarah. I'm so happy for you that the seeds of your efforts with Mallory have germinated into a wonderful relationship. Although my relationship with my boys is different in some ways as mine was with my mother, there is a similar distance. Both my "boys" are independent ... out living their lives at 28 and 30. I was pleasantly surprised this morning that Phillip (my oldest) called and wants to stop by this afternoon. After a cold spell, this is a welcome thaw. Have a wonderful day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete