Sunday, June 2, 2013

I'm a Glasses Kind of Girl

I wanted them to work...


Okay maybe I was only kind of hopeful they would work. But I did give them a try and much to my disappointment or delight they just aren't for me.

I spent last Wednesday morning in a one-on-one contact session, learning how to put them in and take them out, as well as, general care. It only took me ten minutes and I had the whole in and out routine under control.

I have worn contacts before, but that was back in high school, so almost 30 years ago. Back then you had very few choices, basically there was hard or soft. One pair lasted you for a whole year, hopefully.

Today there is daily wear, two week wear and more.

I tried the daily wear last week Wednesday. I was not impressed with those. They don't make the prescription I need for my right eye, so everything was a bit fuzzy in that eye. There was also a weird gapping on the sides in my peripheral vision. I couldn't wait to get home and take those out.

Today I tried the two week wear ones. They fit better and the prescription was correct for both eyes, but my close up vision was not so good (normally it is fine). I had to don my husband's readers to write my check out for church. So what am I gaining here by going to contacts? Nothing!


The really weird thing about wearing contacts for me was that I felt so exposed. I never thought I was hiding behind my glasses, but I guess they are a barrier between me and the world, and I am okay with that.


I have been looking at new frames while all of this has been going on. I have found a couple pair that I really like. I want something a little different from what I have now. When you wear the same thing everyday for two years you like to change it up a bit.


I was almost ready to make my frame decision when the owner of my favorite optical shop dangled a carrot in front of me. He said "I have a lot of new frames coming into the store in the next couple of weeks". I will keep these two options in mind (I do have a favorite) when the new ones come in and see if anything else tempts me. So you might get to see a few more options before the final decision is made.

10 comments:

  1. So many choices! My new purple ones should be ready to collect next week - they're reading ones to wear with my contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look great in glasses. Of course I'm the weirdo with 20/10 vision and no need of glasses, but always wanted them. Now I need readers-and I truly don't mind wearing them, it's just the on and off thing that makes a girl nuts. I have 5 pair in my house, one in each space one "might" need them.
    Good luck deciding on new frames. I have no idea what's considered stylish at this point in time, but have to say, I rather like the ones you're wearing in your header. You probably didn't want to hear that, did you?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to wear contacts for years then all of a sudden I couldn't now I don't mind so much except having to chop and change between sunglasses and glasses..my eyesight is so poor I get free eye tests ... But boy are the lenses expensive.... Good luck with choosing so many to choose from these days..

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Sarah ... I too have experienced the "exposure" thing with contacts vs glasses. I got contacts before I got married years ago because I didn't want to be wearing glasses in my wedding photos. But as soon as that was over I went back to glasses. I too, for some reason, like having that little something between me and the world, although I only need my glasses for distance so don't wear them all the time anyway. Odd, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I like your current glasses ... I'm just going to share something the "glasses lady" told me years ago when we used to wear huge frames ... "the object is that people see your face, not the glasses." I think I like the shape of the ones on the right, but I do think they are both a bit dark. Just one opinion ... I know you'll find something YOU like on your face when the new shipment comes in. ;->

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your glasses make a statement about you! They show you are a creative person.

    I pick out funky frames and get positive comments on them often. And yes, now that the wrinkles around my eyes are deeper and the circles darker, I probably do hide behind my glasses. Good observation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wore contacts for a while until I had to go to bifocals and the contacts just didn't work. Picking out glasses is such a hard thing! I'm glad I don't have to get new ones very often! It's funny my 4 yr old grandson gets very upset when I don't have my glasses on. He really kind of panics. I think he's afraid I can't seem him at all without my glasses on. Good luck with your glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a contacts girl all the way! But of course, they are not for everyone. I love both of your new choices. Show what else you find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh..... I hate to say this but I like the old ones I guess because they DON'T hide your face so much. I wore contacts since highschool and 10 years ago had laser surgery. Best and worst day of my life. But I do wear reading glasses and they live on top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your glasses look great. Always love visiting. Visiting from Groupies of Kim!

    ReplyDelete