Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Laundry Room - Part 2 Goodbye Latex Paint

Last week, I worked on part of the laundry room makeover that was time consuming; getting rid of all the latex paint no longer relevant to our house.

Before

After


I read somewhere on the WWW that if you mixed kitty litter with the latex paint it would dry it up and then you could dispose of it in your regular garbage. Great article here on proper procedure: http://www.charlevoixcounty.org/downloads/latex_paint_disposal.pdf


So I bought my kitty litter (Mallory thought it was pretty funny when I came home with it "Are we getting a cat?") No, I think not, the dogs would torture it to death in a short period of time.


I mixed the kitty litter in with the paint and poured it in to disposable paint tray liners. Then set it outside to dry up.


It worked perfectly, after 24 hours it was as hard as a brick, and ready for the garbage. (This picture is taken with it set vertical up against a rock.)


Now I only have paint that is actually on the walls in my house. Each can is labeled with a sharpie stating what  room the paint belongs in, so if (when) I need to do any touch ups, I can find it easily and get the job done quickly.







2 comments:

  1. Wow very good . I would never show anyone our garage it's a nightmare no room for the car that's on the drive !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all in taking baby steps...before you know it, it's all done!
    Great job..
    Laurie @ Pride in Photos

    ReplyDelete