Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Technology

It is hard to get away from technology these days, even on vacation.

Early in June our family rented a cottage up in the Leelanau Peninsula area. This is something we do every year. The Leelanau area is my favorite place on earth. Well, the cottage we rented this year had Wifi. Even though we all claim that we want to get away from it all and relax. We were 3 very happy people when we discovered the Wifi.

Here is the list of technology items that we immediately connected to the Wifi:

1 iPad
1 MacBook
1 iPhone
2 Android phones (soon to be replace with iPhones)
1 Kindle Fire

A few other technology items we brought along:

2 Digital SLR cameras
1 Memory Card reader
3 iPods

I usually bring my MacBook whenever I go away, Wifi or not. I use it to download my pictures from my camera, so I can work on editing them while I have the extra time on my hands. I also use my laptop to play my morning Yoga workout DVD. The Wifi was extra nice, because I was able to work on my blog and post writing class assignments, so I didn't get too far behind. (I managed to get behind once we got home though.)

Our daughter was happy to have the MacBook, always better viewing of Facebook, better than on the phone. She also was able to work on her blog as well.

My husband had his iPad. He discovered Angry Birds while we were at the cottage. Not sure that was a good thing:)

Even though we enjoyed the access that the Wifi allowed us, it did not rule us. We still spent plenty of time playing games at night, exploring the local towns and wineries during the day, and hiking and exploring nature. It was actually a perfect balance. If only it could be like that when we are home.


*Day 17 of 31 Things Class with Ali Edwards 
*Note: I decided to leave 31 Things on this blog, otherwise it would feel unfinished and that would defeat the idea of "Becoming a Finisher".

3 comments:

  1. Lol. Too funny! And it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I smiled when I saw your photo and read your blog post - our family is exactly the same! As much as we love getting out and about (and playing card games) while on vacation, we're also pleased as punch when we can check our email, Facebook, and blog posts. We always bring a laptop so that everyone can have access when they need it. It seems it's VERY hard to escape technology anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! We were away this weekend. As I closed the hotel door, I glanced back in the room. Every outlet in the room was charging someone's gadget just waiting for our return to check emails, FB, etc!

    ReplyDelete