Sunday, July 1, 2012

What I Read in June

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.

REALLY LIKED - As long as I have known what the word introvert meant, I have known that I was one. I hate big, crowded rooms of strangers, I dislike small talk. I would rather avoid you in the grocery store, unless you are an introvert too, because then I know it will be a short conversation. After reading this book I feel so much better about being the way I am, and it is normal for an introvert to be this way. I like small groups of people, deeper conversations and prefer reading to a party. If you have an introverted child there is a great chapter - How to Cultivate Quiet Kids in a World That Can't Hear Them - I wish I had read this chapter when my daughter was younger, it would have been so insightful.

Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge - Really Liked - It is amazing how easily damaged we are as women. We hold ourselves to such high expectations both in life and in love and when one or both of those goes wrong it takes years to recover from it, if we ever recover. But there is hope...
I would really like to read this book every year because I know I will get new stuff out of it every time I read it.






Wild at Heart by John Eldredge - Really Liked - A must read for any young woman, wife or mother. Even though it is written to the male audience. I learned so much about the hidden side of men. Boys were born to be adventurers and warriors, we as women have to stop squelching those desires. I would highly recommend for any mother with a son to read this book and the sooner the better.

2 comments:

  1. I am a full-fledged introvert, too - I think I read this book once a few years back? I need to purchase it for my library - I remember when I read it that I felt understood by someone for the first time. I wish it could be required reading for all my family and friends...lol. The Captivating book sounds very interesting, too - I will investigate this one. Thanks for telling us about your reads - I always love a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Introvert here too, maybe that is why we blog. I am such a loner. Love the company of my husband and family and my closest friends, but not a big fan of chatting in the grocery store! I will have to get this book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete