Sunday, September 9, 2012

What I Read in August

One of these books I started in August but I didn't finish until September.  I figured I would list it now while it is still fresh in my mind.

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell - Liked - This book was brought to my attention in a recent Sunday sermon. At the time I was just finishing another book and since we had this one at home I decided to read it. I was intrigued by the idea of how we make choices in an instant, in the blink of an eye. The thought of finding out why some people are great decision makers, while others constantly struggle interested me.  Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error?
He also talks about face reading, and how each facial expression means something. I would love to read faces!




The Last Girls by Lee Smith - Liked - The back cover of the book explains the story really well. "The story of four women...Year ago, they were girls, not women - the last generation of American females to be called "girls" - who traveled down the Mississippi River...on a makeshift raft while they were on summer vacation. There were twelve of them on that trip; now there are four, brought together by tragedy. One of the original twelve has died in an automobile accident, and her husband has asked the old friends to re-create the river journey and scatter her ashes at the mouth of the Mississippi."





Resistance by Anita Shreve - Liked - I have enjoyed every one of Anita Shreve's books and this one was no different. The story of Belgian Resistance operations during WWII. It focuses on a downed and wounded American airplane pilot and a Belgium couple that helps people get out of Nazi occupied Belgium. Of course along the way is the story of love, betrayal and death, and finally life after the war.







Happy Reading Everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I love Anita Shreve. I heard her speak once and she was amazing. Resistance is one of my favorite books of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful month of books! I love reading too. :)

    ReplyDelete