Monday, September 24, 2012

Mourning Doves - P52 Week 38

This week's theme for Kent Weakley's Project 52 is Birds/Flying.

I knew that there was no way I was going to get a picture of a bird flying, but I do have this lovely shot of birds on a wire that I took with my iPhone:


The dogs and I pass this field almost everyday on our afternoon walk, and there are almost always mourning doves perched on the electrical wires running along the road side of the field.

Some interesting facts regarding mourning doves:*
--They are one of the most abundant and widespread of all North American birds.
--The leading game bird, with more than 20 million birds shot annually in the U.S. 
--Its ability to sustain its population under such pressure stems from its prolific breeding.
--In warm areas, one pair may raise up to six broods a year.
--The species is generally monogamous, with two squabs (young) per brood.
--Both parents incubate and care for the young.
--They eat almost exclusively seeds, but the young are fed crop milk by their parents.

*source Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. I like that you added facts about the birds. Especially since I didn't know any of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this shot! And getting a bird on a wire shot is on my photo shoot wish list. Can't believe you caught that with your iPhone.

    ReplyDelete