Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fear of the Journey - Week 1

So do not throw away your confidence, it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised.  - Hebrews 10:35-36




Fear of the Journey
I've written before on my other blog Paisley Rain Boots about my fear of stairs. This year I am facing a fear much bigger than a few stairs. Instead, I am facing the fear of the Journey. Fear of failure, fear of putting too much of myself out there, fear of body betrayal. So many fears associated with this Journey. As I sat in church this morning listening to the sermon, a sermon I had considered blowing off if the weather had been nice in favor of a hike at Saugatuck Dunes State Park. God obviously had other plans for me, since the weather was a mixture of snow and rain. The sermon "fear~less", which is our January sermon theme, hit me right between the eyes. The scripture reading was Hebrews 10:32-39, with the key verse being Hebrews 13:5b-6. God has said "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" So we say with confidence. "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid". Pastor Keith made a key point that really stuck with me through out the day today. He said "Fear happens when life is out of control". So this year I am choosing to take control of my body, my health, my relationships, and my faith. Goodbye Fear.

Self-Portrait of the Week



Listed below are some summaries for the week of areas involved in my Journey this year.

Weight
My goal for January for weight lose is 5 lbs. This week I lost 3 lbs. This is mainly due to the fact that all the Christmas goodies are finally gone :)


Exercise
I didn't mix it up too much yet this week. I have committed to walking/hiking at least 60 minutes a day in January. Walking/Hiking minutes for the week = 563 minutes


Food
This week's food exploration was Greek Yogurt, after finding out that the one I have been eating for the last two year has none of the health benefits it should. I am enjoying trying some new varieties and will have the taste results next week.

One of my favorite healthy food blogs is Skinnytaste.com. I have quite a few recipes from that site that I will be making this week. I will share my favorites next week.

Have a great week. I look forward to sharing my Journey :)














12 comments:

  1. Go get'em Sarah!! Fear is such an ugly thing, one I struggle w/ often. Be brave. I will be trying right along w/ you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fear is something I have to face quite often. I can relate to your words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your vulnerability you have shown in this post! This is going to be a busy year focusing on some of the same things you are, as well as a couple of other classes...but I will embrace it all! My favorite weight loss tool? www.myfitnesspal.com both online and as an app on my phone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm soooo proud of you. Might even get inspired by you! I need to do all these things too, but don't seem to be ready even though the pain is great-- both physically and emotionally. I'll be here to cheer you on, Sarah ;->

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,
    You go, girl! Wow - I'm so impressed with your daily walking (and you already lost 3 pounds!). Love your cereal photo above, so very nice - looks like it would be in a food magazine! Good luck on the stairs.... heights are my fear to conquer...ewww.

    Have a great week,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, you just make me want sit down and eat.LOL or go take some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So impressed with you Sarah I'm still prevaricating....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm cheering you on too, Sarah! I believe you will do it. You're off to such a great start. I'm cutting the bad calories too, along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im cheering you on even though I think I quite on myself. Time to have a look at that one. Thanks for sharing so much. I love all you do share.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your posts are always so inspiring! Curious to hear what you think of Greek yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely and uplifting post...fear has such power over us, doesn't it? It has ruled my life too many times...confronting it is very hard, but very rewarding. I wish you much success with your goals - it sounds like you're well on your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm exhausted just looking up the stairs ;-)

    Run up and down those stairs a few times and you can indulge your sweet tooth! Great self-portrait too - you don't even look winded.

    ReplyDelete