Friday, January 4, 2013

Not All Greek Yogurt is Great

I have found the busiest section at the grocery store lately is the Greek Yogurt section. It seems everybody is in on this new sensation. One of the reasons it is so busy is that nobody knows which brand to buy. I have seen people standing there for ten minutes pondering all the varieties. I, on the other hand know exactly the brand I want and just have to weasel my way in there to get it. That is until my husband sent me an article...


My husband, lover of his iPad and of reading Flipboard, is always on the look out for interesting articles to send me. I just never know what will show up in my inbox, and honestly honey I do read them and am very appreciative that you are thinking of me :)

So yesterday morning when this article showed up in my inbox while I was eating breakfast I immediately took notice. I have been eating Greek Yogurt for a couple of years now, and to find out that I was eating the wrong kind was very disheartening.

According to the article my Greek Yogurt should contain only "milk and active live cultures". It should not contain cornstarch or milk-protein concentrate. Mine had both of those and no active live cultures :(

Yesterday afternoon while at the grocery store, I fought through the once again crowded Greek Yogurt section and picked up a few new varieties to try out.


OIKOS Organic - This one passed with flying colors - made with organic milk (even better right?) and "contains active live cultures". I have tried this variety before and do like it, I just didn't know it was better for me.


FAGE - This is probably the best one, as far as, the article says. The only ingredients are skimmed milk, active live cultures and honey. My husband took this one to work for lunch and liked it, although he said the honey was kind of thick. But we are use to honey straight from the Beekeeper (my dad) not from the store.


CHOBANI - This one also had milk and live and active cultures for the main ingredients. They had natural vanilla flavor as well, but that is understandable, since it is vanilla flavored.

Calories were pretty consistent across the board, about 170 per serving.

I chose the vanilla or vanilla with honey varieties because I like to load my Greek Yogurt up with fruit and a little Good Life Granola, which is the best granola I have ever tasted.


I will keep you posted on how the taste testing goes.





7 comments:

  1. This is a great comparison shopping commentary, Sarah. I love both Fage and Chobani. I was aware of the live culture thing. Thanks for educating us! ;->

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Love your new banner, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like greek yogurt too but haven't done so much research. Thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely keep them in mind :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with FAGE yogurt...it's the only brand I buy. So delicious!! I'm happy to hear that it's a healthy one. Time for me to buy some more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love greek yoghurt the one we use is FAGE it takes s bit of getting used to but it's great with a tiny bit of honey...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Greek Yogurt. Chobani in our protein shakes anad Face instead of sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I eat Fage when I'm in the States and love it. Haven't seen it in Canada...

    ReplyDelete