Monday, April 9, 2012

Beef & Spinach Gyros

I found this week's sandwich selection recipe in a magazine while I was at the dentist. Forturnately, it was a current issue of Taste of Home, which I found at the Barnes & Noble in Grandville, after striking out in Holland. It is the April/May 2012 issue.


The recipe calls for pita bread pockets. These are my absolute favorite pita pockets. They don't rip when you are stuffing them, like the ones that you buy whole and have to cut in half. I get these on the shelf in front of the deli case at Meijer.


Beef & Spinach Gyros:

1 lb. lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry *(I used fresh spinach)
6 green onions, chopped
1 can (2-1/4 oz.) sliced ripe olives, drained *(I did not use these, hubby doesn't like olives)
2 tsp. lemon-pepper seasoning, divided
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 cup (8 oz.) fat-free plain yogurt *(I used plain greek yogurt)
6 pita breads (6 in.), halved *(I used the pita pockets)
12 lettuce leaves *(I used more fresh spinach)
1 cup (4 oz.) crumbled feta cheese

1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the spinach, onions, olives
    and 1 tsp. lemon-pepper; heat through. Stir in tomato; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise and remaining lemon-pepper. Line pita halves with  
    lettuce (or spinach); fill with beef mixture and feta cheese. Serve with yogurt sauce.

Serves 6






No comments:

Post a Comment