Thursday, April 19, 2012

Things That Grow - P52 Week 16

When I started the P52 Photo Challenge the thing that I hoped would grow was my photography skills. What I didn't expect to grow was my writer's soul, but as the weeks have gone by that is exactly what has happened. I look forward to writing the story as much as I enjoy taking the picture.


My writer's soul first emerged when I was in 3rd grade. Every couple of years there was a Young Author's Conference held at our local college. A child was chosen from each grade 3rd-5th from each local elementary school, based on their self-made, self-written book. I remember working so hard on my book, carefully writing my story out on the beautiful, crisp, white pages. I added illustrations to each page (of course in 3rd grade I called them drawings), drawing a beautiful picture on the construction paper cover. Oh, the sense of pride I felt when my book was picked to represent the 3rd grade from my school.

The day of the conference came, the excitement I felt riding to the college on the yellow school bus, being away from school for the whole day at a Writer's Conference. I remember stepping off the bottom step of the bus when we arrived, marveling at how old the buildings were and how tall the students were, the joy that filled me that day. I was able to read my book to a group of my peers and feel a common bond with each of them, we were all there because we loved to write.

Where my writer's soul disappeared to after that day I don't know, probably lost among all the busy activities of being a kid. It has made a few guest appearances over the years, but it has always quickly disappeared. It has taken this P52 Challenge to awaken it again, it is finally growing , it is being fed by a new challenge each week, and at the end of 52 weeks it hopefully will have grown enough to fit into my 44-year-old body.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome! So cool to start something that you love again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire those that write, words usually don't come to me naturally.
    love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see yourself grow! I remember Young Author's; I used to love it! I have also enjoyed seeing my writing and photography skills grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you have applied the theme. I have always loved to write. I can't NOT write. But something about combining it with photography adds such a new and powerful dimemsion.

    My blog is at www.virginiaknowles.blogspot.com. For some reason, my exact post link won't paste on my ipod right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous post. I love how you applied the theme to growth in an area of your life. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely understand. I too have found an overwhelming desire to write again and although I am still not very good at it, the P52 challenge has been a great platform to develop my skills. Good luck with exploring more of your creative writer's soul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! So happy that you have found two outlets with this project. I totally get where you are coming from too. When I see these themes, I see them as a chance to capture photos and also an opportunity to share a story/thought. That said, I'm not much of a writer and really still struggle with finding my voice and feeling confident in what I share. Hopefully with more practice, it will get easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to read you are writing again, that is amazing, may it grow and grow

    http://www.saltandsparkle.com/home/2012/4/20/alone-together.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have found that blogging has helped my "writer's soul" which I had put aside for a season (or two). Glad that you have rediscovered yours through this fun photo project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so great! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the approach you took to the theme! And it's a beautiful photo too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing. I like your take. I love when being creative in one way helps me explore something else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been trying to grow my writing as well, I want to write a childrens book on food allergies from the child and sibling point of view

    ReplyDelete