Monday, April 2, 2012

Savory Sandwiches

A sandwich, typically consists of two or more slices of bread with one or more fillings between them. Sandwiches are a widely popular type of lunch food, typically taken to work or school, or picnics to be eaten as part of a packed lunch. They generally contain a combination of salad vegetables, meat, cheese, and a variety of sauces or savory spreads. The bread can be used as it is, or it can be coated with any condiments to enhance flavor and texture. Source: Wikipedia

I love sandwiches, they are the ultimate comfort food. Everybody has a favorite sandwich. We generally have them once a week for supper, usually on Monday nights, so I can have any leftovers on Tuesday night when hubby is gone.

Most Mondays after I get groceries I stop at our local bakery, deBoer's Bakery, and buy a fresh loaf of yummy, yeasty smelling bread.




This week's choice is Asiago Cheese bread.


I picked up this great Panini Magazine/Cookbook this past winter and have been trying some different sandwiches from it, so far I have liked everything I have made. So I thought I would start sharing them.


This week's selection is:  Grilled Asparagus, Taleggio and Prosciutto Panini


Recipe:
6 to 8 very thin asparagus spears, tough ends snapped off
2 tsp. olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 6-inch lengths store-bought Baguettes *(I used the Asiago bread)
3 oz. Taleggio cheese, sliced *(I used a soft, buttery cheese I found at Meijer)
4 thin slices prosciutto
(I added fresh spinach as well)

1. Heat a panini or sandwich press to medium-high.
2. Brush the asparagus with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place them on the press, pull   
    the top down, and cook until lightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly.
3. Cut the baguette pieces in half horizontally. Spread some cheese on the bottom half or each baguette.
    Arrange the cooked asparagus on top of the cheese, pressing lightly on them so they adhere. Drape 
    the prosciutto slices over the asparagus. Top with spinach, if desired, then the other half of the 
    baguette.
4. Put the sandwiches on the press, pull the top down, and cook until they are browned and crisp and 
    the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes, depending on how hot your machine is. Carefully remove from 
    the press and serve immediately.






No comments:

Post a Comment