Thursday, May 10, 2012

there is STILL LIFE in this old dog - P52 Week 19



I noticed the first real signs of aging in my beloved Scout this spring. A few weeks ago we went for a 4 mile walk instead of our normal 3 mile route. He was fine during the walk and for the rest of that day, but I noticed the next morning that he was favoring his right hind leg. I thought maybe it had fallen asleep when he was laying down, but as we headed out for our normal 3 mile route, he didn't get any better. In fact, he got worse. A few houses down from ours I made the decision to turn around and take him back home. This decision killed him as much as it did me. Scout has always been my dog itching for a walk, he actually gets depressed (and naughty) in the winter if we can't get out everyday because of snowy or icy bike paths.


Golden Retrievers are a breed more prone to hip dysplasia, a fact  I know all to well having worked at a Veterinary Clinic for 8 years. Even when both parents are OFA certified there is no guarantee that your puppy is safe when you take home that cuddly bundle of fur at 8 weeks of age. Or in Scout's case a leggy, floppy eared bundle of fur at 16 weeks of age.


The good news is, for now a baby aspirin twice a day seems to be handling the situation. When the time comes for stronger medications that is the direction we will take. Some of the meds. that are out there these days are pretty fantastic. We will keep my boy going for his walks as long as we possibly can, and after that we will snuggle by a cozy fire to warm those old joints. Both his and mine.



5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Golden. They are wonderful dogs. Cute boots, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making that decision with my first Golden. It was hard to do since we loved going on walks together. However, playing in the backyard and even going on "walks" around the backyard and on the nature trail kept her active well into her senior years. Your golden is beautiful and looks so content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your take on the subject. It's tough when our faithful friends start losing their spark. He's a beautiful golden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful dog. Family pets are so dear to us...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dog and beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete