Saturday, June 16, 2012

9:15 a.m.

9:15 a.m. on a Saturday.

I am the passenger in my daughter's newly purchased Navy Blue 2002 Toyota Highlander. We are making the 15 minute drive to our local Farmer's Market.

The sight of fresh fruits and vegetables sends a thrill through me. I live for this time of year. My favorite cooking season, using as many fresh ingredients as possible. The Farmer's Market is a smorgasbord of fresh ingredients all laid out in neat little rows waiting for me to take them home and make something new and wonderful with them.


Today's first mission is bright red, juicy strawberries. I am stocking my freezer for the Winter. Freezing whole strawberries for my standard at home lunch of yogurt and granola and for smoothies. Last year I ran out of frozen strawberries well before Christmas, that will not happen again this year.


When we arrive at the market at 9:20 a.m. the sea of cars in the parking lot overwhelms us. Fortunately, we find a place to park fairly quick. Out come the market baskets, the camera, and the most important essential; cash.


Strawberries bought and taken to the car, we set out to find other treasures for the day. Top of Mallory's list is asparagus, her new favorite vegetable. (I remember when this kid only ate corn), how far she has come. She convinces me to buy 2 pounds today, because 1 pound is never enough for the three of us. I guess I didn't realize asparagus was the main course and not the salmon.


We really didn't need much more than that since we had stocked up on tomatoes and zucchini when we were at the market on Wednesday.

Wandering along we came across the Amish ladies (I have no idea if they are really Amish) and to our delight they had cookies today, since they didn't have them on Wednesday. I selected a chocolate cherry one, to make me feel like I was back up in Leelanau County, and Mallory got her usual  Chocolate Chip. With our cookies tucked away in a paper bag in my market basket, we continued on.

We came down to the west end of the market and I saw the Fustini's banner set up in front of folding chairs and behind a portable kitchen. The 10 a.m. weekly Chef series was discovered and about to start. I love Fustini's, a Michigan owned oil and balsamic vinegar retail store chain. So we made our way to a couple of folding chairs and sat down to enjoy the show.

Denise Walburg, the Manager of our Holland Fustini's was the chef. Now, Denise recognizes me every time I go in that store and usually has my name nailed down, or close to it. I am not in there THAT much. How about that for awesome customer service!

Denise made three dishes for the demonstration: Ramen Coleslaw Salad, Corn and Black Bean Salsa (which I plan to make for next Friday's Concert in the Park at Kollen's Park), and Grilled Romaine with Lemon-Parmesan Vinaigrette. All awesome and super easy. I will be visiting Fustini's next week!

After the wonderful Chef demonstration we were ready to head home and have our cookies for a mid-morning snack. The cookies were wonderful! I loved the little bits of cherry in my Chocolate Cherry one.






No comments:

Post a Comment