Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blog Timeline

For Day Two of our Behind the Scenes class we were asked to make a Timeline of what lead to our starting a blog. Mine is not as fancy as some of the girls, but I can keep it clear to me by doing it this way.

There were many things shaping my blog long before I even knew it, but the events listed below were the key turning points.

August 2011 - Our daughter and only child leaves for her first year of college.



September 2011 - I quit my retail job that I have had for the past 5 years. Thanks to a job promotion for my husband, I was able to stay home and get things done around the house and work on improving my photography skills.

November 2011 - I have a conversation on FB with a couple of friends about how we never finish things that we start. Thank you to Joni and Michelle, you had a big impact on me starting this blog and probably didn't even know it. This conversation starts the bells and whistles in my head a clanging like crazy.

December 2011 - I come across Project 52 on Pinterest. I decide that I can take 1 photo a week on a specific topic and write about it. Idea of blogging this is born and also the name of the blog Becoming a Finisher.

January 2012 - Start blog and find it easy to keep up with Project 52, so I decide to write about a few other things here and there.

February 2012 - Discover that I really like writing about what I am taking pictures of.

April 2012 - Take the NOW|YOU class with Kristin Zecchinelli & Meredith Winn on Self-Portrait Photography. This was a big step outside of my comfort zone. In many of my early photos for class I am wearing my Paisley Bogs Rain Boots and got lots of great comments on them. Thus the idea was born for the Paisley Rain Boots blog. I was also taking Kim's Photo Essentials class at this same time  so I could learn how to use my newly purchase Photo Shop Elements program.


May 2012 - Start the Big Pictures Class 31 Things with Ali Edwards, discover I really love writing and love having a topic prompt to write about.

June 2012 - Sign up for Kim and Xanthe's class Behind the Scenes, a class about better blogging.

I feel myself growing each and everyday in all my new skills. This class is so perfect to tie everything together.


7 comments:

  1. Love those boots! I have skulls and roses on mine!Yx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous story I to started slowly but my fascination with photography when I got my Iphone a whole new world opened up xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I'm taking the Now You class beginning in a couple of weeks. I have always internally rolled my eyes at people who say they have trouble with self-portraits, but now that i'm about to do it, I am freakin scared. It's something about our self-image that really shakes me to the core, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great story, I haven't written mine yet but the reasons are the same with a daughter off to university.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, our stories are very similar...my daughter left for college in 2010 - shortly after that was when my photography passion began. I'm not currently working either, so I feel incredibly lucky to be able to spend a lot of time working on my creative endeavors. I LOVE the name of your blog here - and I also enjoyed your Paisley Boots blog when I visited. I'm happy to be in class with you and look forward to more of your photography and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. Glad to meet you, looking foward to more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah: I love your linear timeline highlighting the month and year of significant events. Yes, sometimes that is the clearest way to do it. I just LOVE your blog title: Becoming a Finisher. I have trouble finishing things too. I have a baby quilt I started before my 27 year old son was born that never got finished. I wonder if it every will be finished. Maybe for a grandchild! Ha!

    ReplyDelete