Sunday, June 10, 2012

What I Read in May

May was a super busy month so I did not get a lot of books read. That is okay, I can always read.  I don't always have the luxury of spending time with my daughter.

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult - Liked - I almost always enjoy Jodi's books, she always writes about controversial subjects. This book reminded me a lot of My Sister's Keeper. The controversial subject was gay marriage and the issue of leftover stored embryos with one heterosexual couple wanting them, and one gay couple wanting them. Of course a lawsuit to try to resolve the issue, and a twist at the end.






The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon - LIKED -  I think this book would make a great book club book. Great characters that I felt I really got to know. A sad view into the life inside a State Hospital for Mentally ill children, something I don't read about too often. A little bit of a fairy tale ending was the only downfall in my mind.









One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp - OK. I read this book for our May book club. I usually try to read the book club book a week before we meet, so it is the last thing I have read. This book is not one to read fast. Like we discussed at book club, this should really be read over a month or two for a bible study, along with doing the study guide. Our leader felt the Study Guide made things a lot clearer to her. Time would be better to digest this book, then the chapters would not seem so repetitive. She has a great message but it really needs to be pondered and discussed after each chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment