Monday, June 25, 2012

Reflections of My Life in Uniforms

My first "official" job as a teenager required me to wear a uniform. I worked in the bakery at a local grocery store. Our uniform was white pants, a white polo shirt, and white shoes. I still don't understand why white is equated with clean and sanitary, because as soon as you get chocolate frosting smeared on your shirt, you are not clean anymore.

My first full time job straight out of high school was as an Administrative Assistant (in those days it was Secretary) for a local builder. Our office was located in one of his model homes so there was not a lot of people traffic, but we still dressed professionally. The builder himself usually wore a suit jacket and tie, and so the bar was set.

My second full time job was as a Data Entry clerk for a Library Furniture manufacturer. Again the "uniform" was very professional. The owner was a very smart dresser, full suit with a bow tie.

My last full time job with a "uniform" was as a Veterinary Assistant for our Veterinarian. There our uniform was more clear cut; black pants, solid colored polo shirt, and tennis shoes. Comfy clothes that could get dirty. Working with animals is not a clean job.

After the birth of our daughter, I only worked part time jobs, a couple of them have had uniforms of sorts.

I worked a few summers for a friend of mind who had her own landscaping business. We wore our oldest and lightest clothes, working in people's gardens is dirty and hot.

My last part time job was as a retail clerk at a gift shop. I got to go back to a nice "uniform" again, which was welcomed after the last few dirty jobs. Our store sold Pandora jewelry and part of our "uniform" each day was our Pandora bracelet. Definitely the nicest piece of a "uniform" I have ever had.


Now I am free to wear whatever uniform I want for the day; stay at home uniform, exercise uniform, going to get groceries uniform, or going out with friends uniform. I am sure some day I will wear some kind of "uniform" again, but for now I am happy with these.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, that's such an interesting way to look at your past experiences.
    By the way, I too signed up for BTS the second we could! It's going to be great. Nice to meet you! I absolutely love your header. Any kind of organization project gets me excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah I'm a BTS participant too. Love the uniform post I to now can wear whatever uniform I like gone are the days of an itchy non natural fibre uniform. I actually would like to finish something lol and so would my husband......

    ReplyDelete