Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Rear View Mirror


A rear view mirror is a small angled mirror fixed inside the windshield of a motor vehicle, enabling the driver to see the vehicle or road behind.

What I saw through my rear view mirror this past weekend is something that no mother should ever see. What I saw was my beautiful 18 year old daughter following behind me in her tree hugger Subaru hit a patch of black ice on a busy interstate highway and spin out of control into the lanes of traffic that were behind her. When I close my eyes that is the image I see, fortunately I do not remember seeing the big Dodge Ram truck hit her.

Time stood still, nothing moved for a moment. Somehow I got my vehicle turned around and pulled up next to her damaged car. Then the moment of joy, she popped out of her car, granted with blood trickling down the side of her head, saying "I'm fine Mom". I usually hate it when she says "she is fine" but in that moment I loved those words. Somebody then pressed the fast forward button and people came rushing over from every direction. A wonderful woman riding a snowmobile on the other side of the highway was busy filling a baggie with snow to hold to my daughter's bleeding head. An EMT that was a passenger in a passing car was taking her vitals and communicating those to the EMTs that were on their way. The kindness of complete strangers was so overwhelming, I wish I had their names to thank them personally, but I will always remember them in my heart.

God's hand of protection was all over my daughter that day, letting her basically walk away (well an ambulance ride and ER visit walk away). He provided all the wonderful people that responded and helped us through that terrible moment in time.

Her attitude through it all was nothing less than amazing. She was positive and cheery the whole time, even joking with the nurse when he helped her wash her hair to get the blood out that "he shouldn't give up his day job". Six staples in her head later and we walked out of that ER room with a completely new appreciation for life and for God's grace.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a horrible moment to witness in your daughter's life. I am glad she is okay and that so many people came to her aide.

    ReplyDelete