Friday, January 27, 2012

Self-Portrait - P52 Week Four

Oh, the things we do for the sake of feeling beautiful...



This week's P52 theme is self-portrait. I knew what I wanted to do right away for this one. The dark hairs at the sides of my upper lip were calling desperately for the bleach treatment. My approach was to go for something different, and I am definitely putting myself out there a little bit.

Yesterday, when I set up to do this I found out what a humbling experience it was going to be. First to find the right spot with decent lighting, then the right pose. It is not easy to find the best angle for your head and what the heck to do with your arms. Finally, as I was getting close to nailing it down, my dogs decided to start play fighting at the top of the stairs. So in some shots there is a blur of golden retriever fur. In others the face of one of my dogs is peering over my shoulder. Cute but very annoying! So I did a much needed thing, I stopped. I left everything set up and took the dogs for a walk. When we got back, they were ready for a nap and I was ready to tackle it again.

Finally, I am ready to put the bleach on. You can't leave the bleach on forever, so I really needed to know what I wanted. Eight minutes of bleach and I got the shot just as the timer went off.

100+ pictures later and I have two shots that I can be proud of. I will be happy to be back behind the camera next week. One of the good things that came out of this week's assignment is that I finally unpacked and used my remote shutter release that I have had since fall. The remote shutter release is awesome!

post bleach


I have made it through four weeks of this project and am just loving it!










25 comments:

  1. Great job! I know it is so hard to be in front of the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really did put yourself out there. I love your portraits. I took only 8-10 shots, but I was outdoors in the snow. :) Maybe you can pass down your shots to your (future) grandkids. (As an Italian woman, I sympathize with you regarding the mustache...)

    Regards,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my Italian heritage, tanning is so much easier, but yes the mustache is a drawback.

      Delete
  3. Love this. You were brave to do this. I love the after shot. Your pose and bokeh are really nice.

    Yet another mention of a camera remote. I must get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I love the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. The remote I used is Opteka for Canon. I got it on Amazon, if I remember it was quite reasonable.

      Delete
  5. I thought you were the girl from the milk commercial. :)V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing after I posted this on my blog.

      Delete
  6. This is so great! Love it! :)

    It is so hard to be in front of the camera for some, I am one of those people so I know!! But your photos are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome pictures. I had the same problem, lots and lots of pictures until I could be somewhat happy with one :)

    xoxo, Ana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recognized it immediately because I did that yesterday! Though I did it when no one was home and would have died thinking of taking a picture of it. Way to put yourself out there...your shots turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I too thought you had milk or cream on. How funny and brave your self-portrait is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for a self-portrait! Both the shots turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the most BRILLIANT self-portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh...you crack me up! First I thought you were one of those "milk" advertisements :)

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the visit Sarah, the makeover boosted my confidence...I really hate taking pictures of myself :( oh I also do the bleach treatment :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! The funny portrait is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love it! Really shows some personality.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could tell from the thumbnail what you were doing and started laughing before I even clicked. What a riot! Nice work.

    A dark-haired, fair-skinned friend.... Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  17. I, like a few others thought you were replicating the milk commercials. However, this is great, way to put yourself out there. Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i knew exactly what it was being a bleacher myself! :) great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL -- this is awesome! And you thought mine was real. :)

    ReplyDelete